It is already a rule of thumb among carpet owners that if you want to maintain and preserve the condition of your carpet, you will need to vacuum it regularly. However, even with regular vacuuming, there will come a time when this cleaning procedure will not be enough, especially when dust and dirt have already sunk very deep in between the carpet fibers, so that they could not be sucked out.
If your carpet has reached this state of dirtiness, it is definitely the time to do steam carpet cleaning
Steam Carpet Cleaning
In steam carpet cleaning, you use a special cleaner called a steam cleaner machine. It works by using a cleaning solution and heated water to loosen dirt and debris from the carpet padding and fibers. You don’t even need to buy your own steam cleaner machine. There are carpet cleaning companies that rent them out to customers.
How do you go about steam cleaning your carpet? Just take note of this step-by-step procedure.
- Remove all the furniture inside the room that contains the carpet that you will be steam cleaning. This is especially important if you have wall-to-wall carpeting.
- Thoroughly vacuum your carpet to remove much of the dust, dirt and debris.
- If there are individual stains in your carpet, get rid of them with spot remover. However, if your carpet is heavily stained, spray it with carpet pretreatment solution. Let it sit for around 2 to 3 minutes.
- Because you will need to steam clean every single inch of your carpet, you will need to divide it into sections with masking tape.
- Take the water tank from the steam cleaner. Fill it up with warm tap water. Next, take the formula tank and fill it up with carpet cleaning solution. Read the manual carefully as to exactly how much water and cleaning solution you should pour inside the respective tanks.
- Plug the steam cleaner into the appropriate outlet and switch it on. Wait for 1 minute as the heater in the cleaner heats up the tap water.
- As you start cleaning, press the button that will release the steam and the cleaning solution. This button can usually be found in the handle of the steam cleaner. Move the cleaner in slow vertical up and down strokes. Do not overwet your carpet.
- Switch off the button for the steam and cleaning solution. Once you are finished with one section, move on to the next until you have steam cleaned your entire carpet.
- When you are done, take the steam cleaner outside and dump out all the dirty water. Clean the machine based on the instructions in the manual.
- Let your carpet dry in the air or with the help of a ceiling fan before putting the furniture back on top of it.